Drama as Nairobi Central OCS Arrested Over Release of Protest Suspects

Must read

There was dramatic turn of events within the police service after the Officer Commanding Station (OCS) at Nairobi’s Central Police Station was arrested over the alleged unlawful release of dozens of suspects linked to recent anti-fuel price protests.

The senior police officer, a Chief Inspector attached to the station, was arrested on Monday by fellow officers acting on instructions from senior police commanders. He was later detained at Lang’ata Police Station as investigations into the incident commenced.

According to police authorities, the officer is under investigation for allegedly abusing his office after reportedly releasing 64 suspects without lawful authority on May 18. The suspects had been arrested during demonstrations over the rising cost of fuel and were facing public order-related offences.

Nairobi Police Commander Issa Mohamud confirmed the arrest, stating that the officer is accused of improperly using his authority to confer an unlawful benefit through the release of the detainees.

“We are handling the matter internally before we decide the way forward,” Mohamud said.

Under police regulations, OCSs have the authority to release suspects from custody under certain circumstances. However, investigators are now seeking to establish whether proper procedures were followed in this particular case.

The protests, which erupted in several parts of the country, resulted in widespread chaos, arrests, injuries, and destruction of property. Police reported that nearly 1,000 people were arrested nationwide, with more than 200 arrests made in Nairobi alone.

Authorities further stated that at least four people lost their lives while over 30 others sustained injuries during the unrest. Several vehicles were burnt, businesses vandalised, and property looted in different areas affected by the demonstrations.

Public transport operations were also disrupted as some operators withdrew services amid fears of insecurity and continued protests.

Meanwhile, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen accused politicians of infiltrating the demonstrations and sponsoring criminal activities under the guise of peaceful protests. Speaking in Nairobi, Murkomen claimed that criminal gangs had been mobilised to loot businesses, attack government projects, and intimidate supporters of the Kenya Kwanza administration.

The CS maintained that while the government respects the constitutional right to protest, acts of violence, looting, and destruction of property would not be tolerated.

“Looting, violence, blocking roads, and vandalising public and private property can in no way bring down the prices,” Murkomen said.

He linked the increase in fuel prices to the global energy crisis caused by ongoing tensions involving the United States, Israel, and Iran, particularly disruptions affecting the Strait of Hormuz, which has significantly raised global shipping and insurance costs.

Murkomen also alleged that some opposition politicians were using inflammatory statements to incite violence and ethnic intolerance. He cited incidents including the burning of a UDA office in Wote, looting of businesses linked to pro-government leaders, and attacks on infrastructure projects as signs of organised political sabotage.

Additionally, the Interior CS referenced the death of gospel musician Rachel Wandeto, who reportedly succumbed to injuries sustained during the chaos, warning that those behind violence and destruction would face legal consequences.

“It is quite unfortunate that there are politicians in this country who measure the success of opposition to the government by the number of innocent lives lost,” he said.

Investigations into both the protests and the alleged unlawful release of suspects remain ongoing.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article